Factory headlights often deliver sub-par lighting. Unless you buy a luxury car, standard headlights shine less brightly, provide fuzzy and unfocused beam patterns, and fail to light up particularly dark roads.
Thus, finding a good headlight bulb can improve the appearance of your car increase its safety features. LED headlight bulbs are some of the most high-functioning options available to replace vehicle headlight bulbs.
Let’s dive into what makes a good LED headlight bulb and how to choose the best kit for your car.
What Are LED Headlights?
Here are some of the key features of LED headlights:
- LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. These bulbs provide bright lighting that appears white when ignited.
- LED bulbs have a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours. Thus, they are a long-lasting replacement option that can last for the duration of your car ownership.
- These bulbs last about 25 times longer than factory-fitted halogen lights.
- LEDs also require less power to shine. Their potent light is thus highly energy-efficient!
Also Read, WHY DO LED HEADLIGHTS HAVE A BRIGHT FUTURE?
How Do They Work?
The super bright light produced by LED bulbs comes from a semiconducting material that glows when energy circulates through it. When choosing a high-quality LED headlight bulb, you should consider the following specs:
- Beam pattern
- Light Intensity and Color
The beam pattern of a LED headlight refers to how the beam appears when shining on the road. Due to safety regulations set by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the beam pattern must adhere to a certain angle.
The center of any headlight must shine at a height of no more than 36 inches above the ground. Because this is hard to determine by yourself, contact the company you plan to buy from to ensure that your bulbs follow the SAE’s regulations.
You must also consider the housing that you have purchased for your LED headlights, as the bulb can shine too brightly for road regulations. Be sure to invest in reflector housing when purchasing LED bulbs.
Light Intensity and Color
When choosing LED bulbs, you must consider the Lux. Lux refers to how intensely the light appears in a small area (measured in lumens per square meter).
The Lux of a high-quality LED bulb should spread evenly throughout the beam, meaning no spot should appear brighter or darker (such as the outer edges).
LEDs also come in different tints, meaning you can opt for a cooler or warmer-toned bulb. This depends on personal preference.
Fitment refers to the shape and size of the bulb. You must check that the LED headlights that you choose fit the housing and socket of your vehicle.
If you know how to remove the current bulb in your car, you can find the fitment information on the base of the bulb. Otherwise, look at your vehicle handbook or contact the manufacturer directly.
Like any product, you get what you pay for. Cheap LED kits will save you money in the short term but might blow out or require frequent changes. A good headlight bulb may cost more, but it will last longer and function better.
Also Read, BEST LED LIGHT ACCESSORIES FOR CARS
Things to Consider
- When buying new LED kits, check if your kit includes an automotive-specific chipset. The bulb won’t last long if the chipset is incorrect, as vehicles put a lot of pressure on their headlights when operating.
- Do not purchase a LED bulb with an overclocked chipset. Because they emit an increased lumen count, these bulbs burn out quickly.
- Check the CRI rating (1-100), which indicates how well a light reveals the color of an object at night. High CRI ratings mean that the light shines brighter but does not waste as many lumens.
- Make sure that any bulbs with connections are waterproof. Water can easily seep into the housing and damage the light.
- Verify the bulb’s heat management, as LEDs can overheat due to increased energy usage. Either buy a bulb with a built-in fan or check your housing for a cooling component.
Check Out Our LED Headlights Collection
If you want to improve your view of the road when you drive at night, invest in LED bulbs. Underground Lighting is an exceptional LED bulb provider. They have one of the best selections of LED headlights on the market and supply high-quality products at a competitive price.
The knowledgeable team at Underground Lighting can also provide professional advice about good headlight bulbs. If you would like to learn more about their products, contact them at 718-752-7412 and check out their catalog for your new headlights today.Danny